Fish Oil Benefits
- Prevents fat cell growth and multiplication 1
- Lowers serum triglyceride levels (they pose a cardiovascular risk)
- Results in a significant reduction in morning stiffness and painful joints related to rheumatoid arthritis 2
- Reduces inflammation which can cause pain 2
- Reducs blood pressure, minimizing hardening of the arteries and stabilizing heart rhythm 3
- Blocks fat storage before it even starts 1
- Forces excess nutrients to be rapidly burned as fuel, which is extremely important in attempting to lose body fat and control bodyweight 1
- Helps manage dry eye
- Keeps skin supple
How much to take?
I recommend taking 2-4 1000 mg capsules a day to start off. If you are hoping that fish oils will help with pain or arthritis, or you are very strictly dieting, more may be helpful. The equivalent in the liquid fish oil is 1 tsp. Highest doses generally are 12 capsules or 1 Tbsp per day.Be sure your doctor is aware of your fish oil supplementation, as these supplements may be contraindicated with certain medications.
I hope this fish oil 101 guide was helpful for you! I love how fish oil makes me feel, and I hope it helps you too!
Connect with a Certified Nutritionist Over Your Supplements
I'd love to take a look at your supplements and see if what you are taking is supporting your goals. Go here for more information about our Nutritionist services.
1 Minji Kim, Tsuyoshi Goto, Rina Yu, Kunitoshi Uchida, Makoto Tominaga, Yuriko Kano, Nobuyuki Takahashi, Teruo Kawada. Fish oil intake induces UCP1 upregulation in brown and white adipose tissue via the sympathetic nervous system. Scientific Reports, 2015; 5: 18013 DOI: 10.1038/srep18013
2 Pain. 2007 May;129(1-2):210-23. doi: 10.1016/j.pain.2007.01.020. Epub 2007 Mar 1.
3 Cardiol Rev. 2010 Sep-Oct; 18(5): 258–263. doi: 10.1097/CRD.0b013e3181ea0de0