The good news is type 2 diabetes can be minimized or reversed by healthy lifestyle choices. In fact, the recommendations I make for my clients for good health and weight control, are basically those of the American Diabetes Association for prevention and treatment:
• Consume a high fiber, low-fat diet that consists of lots of vegetables, fruits, whole grain foods, fish, lean meats, dried beans, non-fat dairy, unsaturated fats.
• Minimize or avoid refined foods, like snacks and desserts high in fat and sugar.
• Watch food portion sizes and maintain a healthy weight.
• Exercise 30 to 60 or more minutes per day.
The benefits of exercise in preventing or treating diabetes are numerous and include:
• Improving your blood glucose.
• Losing weight.
• Reduces stress which has a positive effect on glucose levels.
• Improves the efficiency of insulin so you get more out of the way your body uses it.
In some people, proper diet and exercise allows them to control diabetes without use of medication! Simply amazing! I know so many formerly sedentary people who didn't eat so well and who adopted a healthy lifestyle, only to find that their diabetes markers changed for the bettter! It's totally possible and certainly worth trying. Always talk to your doctor before changing your medication doses or frequency.
I have had many Home Bodies clients who were in the pre-diabetic category who were able to reverse the condition with my programs, too! Catching it while it's still pre-diabetes is the best approach, so always check in with your yearly physical, even if you are feeling well.